I must admit that pockets are very handy compartments, but a professionally finished pocket is not just a useful detail, it can also really enhance a garment and act as a beautiful design detail.
An inseam pocket is intended to be discreet, as it is placed in the side seam and is enclosed by the garment. Whilst it may be virtually unnoticeable from the outside, creating a clean finished pocket, that no one will really see apart from you, does bring a great deal of satisfaction. I know, I know… I am just a sewing addict!
Here are the steps for you!
- overlock or zigzag stitch front garment side seam
- overlock or zigzag stitch front pocket side seam
- back garment and pocket seams for now remain with raw edges and will be overlocked at a later stage
- place front pocket to the front of the garment, right side to right side, aligning the edges
- mark side seam
- machine pocket in place – the stitch line should be positioned 1/8” away from your marked side seam and run between the pocket seams
- repeat same steps for the back of the garment
- fold out pocket details and press seams towards the pocket
- place front and back parts together, right side to right side, matching seams and pocket edges
- machine side seams making sure stitching runs past pocket stitch by ¼”
- stitch around the pocket to join both pieces
- stop pocket seam stitching just before you reach pocket side stitch
- overlock or zigzag stitch both pocket seams together
- when overlocking or zigzag stitching the pocket, front pocket side seam should be folded towards the front
- press garment seams open
- overlock or zigzag stitch pocket and garment back seams together
- press seams for final finish
I hope these steps have helped you to create a beautiful pocket!